The Cross Keys was built in the early part of the 18th century on land that had been acquired by Hugh Sexey of Bruton after the dissolution of the Benedictine Priory of Bath. It was strategically located on the crossroads of the route between Bath, Wells, Bristol and Warminster.
The first record of the Cross Keys as an inn dates from 4th June 1718 when it was described in a lease as 'a new erected tenement or dwelling house...now a Public House on Odwood Down'
There was a downpayment of £42 to take the lease and an annual rent of £1 10 shillings. The lease from 1739 to 1760 was held by Ralph Allen, one of leading figures in the development of Georgian Bath.
In 1896 Sexey Hospital sold the pub to Oakhill Brewery and it remained in the hands of breweries and pub management companies until February 2014 when the landlord Clive and Samantha Prescott bought the freehold. So why not come see this historical freehouse for yourself and enjoy some lovely food and drink.
Would you like to know more about our historical freehouse near Bath?